Friday, January 30, 2009

"My industry is hemorrhaging... the center isn't holding"

New York based "Olivia Loyd" shares her solicitude about the future of journalists. An extract from the Women's International Perspective blog:
A few weeks ago an email landed in my inbox from a former classmate who, by most accounts, would be considered a journalism success story. He was hired by The New York Times soon out of graduate school and has written for some of the most venerable titles in the business as a freelancer.

“I’ve been living very shoestring for very long," he writes. "I'd like to think that I've made a good run at freelancing. I'm 29 now, and coming up on the fifth anniversary of having moved to New York to make this work. I can't say this is the first time I've given thought to leaving journalism, but this is the first time it has been a sustained thought for a considerable amount of time… I built myself back up this year, but feel like I'm in the same dreary place."

No comments: